Traveling may be one of my favorite activities, but it’s true that I’m always a hot mess in the airport. I don’t know where my anxiety-riddled plane personality originated, but it was born with a vengeance. To steer clear of disasters that I don’t create myself, I always go for the comfortably stylish look in the airport. I’m not so chic on early morning departures, which explains a few of the Juicy sweatsuits of my past.
Of course I try to look like a celeb daily, but it’s definitely not hard to achieve their typically-lax airport look. Oversized sunglasses, a comfy scarf, and a designer duffel bag is really all you need. And when I’m not being delusional, my airport must-haves go like this:
1. You’ll never regret wearing a pair of comfy pants on a plane. For a more relaxed look, I love cotton James Perse pieces. Boyfriend jeans, like these by AG, are also a good choice.
2. Shoes that I can slip on and off are the best. I’m really into my red moccasins these days, but I should pick up a pair of penny loafers soon. This 80’s staple is another popular fashion reinvention for spring.
3. I layer clothing a lot, and that becomes even more evident when I turn into a jetsetter. Button-up cardigans are easy to pair with t-shirts for a more polished but still comfy look. Check out J.Crew for fabulous sale prices on sweaters.
4. A large carry-on is my only method of organization when I travel. In fact, it’s probably not all that put-together, but it does manage to keep all my belongings in one place. I die for the toffee Alexander Wang Emile Large Tote.
5. A good blanket hides my face so that other passengers won’t have to deal with the beauty of my sleeping face. I’m in love with Jonathan Adler’s bright printed throws. For longer flights, a
designer sleeping mask can also be a good item to have on hand.
So if flying high isn’t your cup of tea either, don’t worry and order another cocktail. Deter yourself from looking like the hot mess that you are by achieving celeb-worthy airport style.