Did you know that May signals Skin Cancer Awareness Month? I didn’t either, but I’ll at least admit to the fact that taking care of your skin is really important. You’re stuck with it for the rest of your life, right? And on the flip side, I obviously don’t want skin cancer…
I recently volunteered for a free skin analysis at a luxury department store’s cosmetics counter. I stuck my face into a red box, holding still for a moment as the machine kept count of every flaw.
It wasn’t awkward in the least. While a healthy exfoliation was needed and my pores looked too large for my liking, my face was largely free from sun damage. I’m not claiming to be perfect even though I am, but I was excited to hear that all that SPF had paid off for something.
I’ll tell you my secret, and it’s not Secret deodorant.
Yes, I am referencing an America’s Next Top Model challenge from 2005. I’ve sported an SPF on my face since my amateur makeup days, when silver eyeshadow was cool and blush application was always a disaster. Maybe I’m not a cosmetics genius, but I do know the rewards that go along with protecting your face. I think you’ll thank yourself for taking all the precautions when you don’t have wrinkles, either.
So in spirit of this important educational awareness month, and because we all should take care of our skin, I’ve chosen a few products that make blending SPF into your routine easy as pie. I’ve even taken inspiration from my own makeup routine by recognizing the products that don’t let the sun shine down on me.
Elton John’s greatest hits, anyone?
1. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer (SPF 15): Every lovely lady should use a primer before makeup application, and a little drop goes a long way. I’ve been a fan of Smashbox, and this product, for a while now. Worn under foundation, this primer increases the longevity of your makeup coverage, keeping foundation long-lasting for a hard day’s work
or night. This product’s SPF protects right down from the first layer of your makeup against harmful UVA and UVB rays.
2. Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturizer (SPF 15): It’s light, it’s oil-free, and it supplies fabulous coverage – could this product be any better? I’m pretty sure Bobbi Brown
obviously the makeup maven, not the rapper can do no wrong. This tinted moisturizer is perfect for when you crave coverage but the weather feels too hot for a full face of makeup. I wear it to the beach, and under powder for a lighter look at work. Another plus? This product is oil-free, so the chances that it will cause breakouts and irritation is super-low.
3. Bobbi Brown Illuminating Finish Powder Compact Foundation (SPF 12): I told you I was a fan of Bobbi Brown. I use a powder brush with this product to set her tinted moisturizer. A little extra SPF ain’t so bad, either. I should maybe mention that it placed in Self magazine’s “Healthy Beauty Awards 2011,” too.
4. Smashbox Limitless Long Wear Lip Gloss (SPF 15): Just because you’re trying to protect yourself from the sun doesn’t mean you need to sacrifice all beauty efforts. Smashbox offers gorgeous lip colors with added SPF, sparing you from boring and dull chapstick options. This line is extra-versatile, with everything from lighter shades to those that provide a little more pop.
5. Mustela High Protection Sun Lotion (SPF 50): Let’s all remember that it’s basically summer, and the sun is about to get real hot for everyone. The SPF 50 that this mineral-based sunscreen provides isn’t a bad idea, especially for more sensitive areas that might be exposed to rays. This size is handy to keep in your purse; even if you’re not sunbathing, you never know when you may have an unexpected outside adventure.